Historical Old Salem is the original building of Salem Lutheran Church at 701 Ingleside Avenue, Catonsville, MD. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
A Salem Evangelical Lutheran Church cemetery book recording burials up 2011. The cemetery was established in 1849 and contains many founding members of the church as well as their descendants. Prominent surnames are BASSLER, BAUMAN, BLOMEIER, DIETZ, DILL, EGE, FREUND, GOHR, KIMMELSHUE, KIRN, KRONER, LAUMAN, LEIMBACH, MAISEL, PIEL, REICH, RODGERS, RUFF, SCHAUB, UEBEL, WALTER, WESSLING and ZELTMAN as well as many others. Some of these same families moved westward and went on to be founding members of Lutheran Churches in Howard Co., MD
The book is on sale with any proceeds to benefit Historic Old Salem, Inc. The cost of the books is $20 and postage/packaging is $3.50. Checks should be made payable to Historical Old Salem, Inc. c/o Michele Miller, 6207 Beechwood Road, Baltimore, MD 21239. Please remember to include your full name and address for mailing. Please call Michelle at 410-377-4169 or Sharon at 410-744-8724 for more information.
Historical Old Salem, Inc.
Historical Old Salem Formation
In 1976, a group of interested Catonsville people organized Historical Old Salem, Inc., the purpose of which was to restore and preserve Old Salem Church and site. Through a 99-year lease the organization accepted the responsibility for the care and custody of the building and grounds.
Fortified with a substantial grant for the Maryland Historical Trust, annual membership contributions, memorials and subsequent grants, the restoration got under way. The work is continuing as funds become available. Because the up-keep and restoration of Old Salem and the cemetery is on-going, the Old Salem Trust Fund was established in 1989. “to provide and assure a financial means to continue the restoration and preservation of the Old Salem Church and adjoining cemetery grounds into the future.”